Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Password Pill

Is technology bringing out the idiocy in people?

As time goes by our knowledge of the world around us heightens as technology itself reaches a prosperous level. As technology advances, things become much easier to tackle. It is a beneficial card to humans. But at times advancements in technology doesn’t deserve the title of beneficial but plain idiocy, reflecting how lazy humanity has become. A Password Pill, an article I read in the latest issue of Upfront, introduces a pill (which you take like medicine) that activates with the help of stomach acid. Its purpose is to send a signal to either your smart phone or computer, allowing you access without a password. A pill that allows you to get rid of the 3 second hassle of entering in your password. How helpful is that?

First, what of the dangers of swallowing such a pill? The article states, “When swallowed daily, the edible password vitamin (actually a chip) will use acid in your stomach to turn itself on…” Aside from the fact that you have to take this pill daily, this chip enters your body. Usually we are so skeptical about what we put in our bodies; it is a stretch to assume this pill will actually sell even with a complete medical review. This chip may trigger something negative in some people, since our body conditions vary greatly. Also the fact that it is sending electrical signals through our body makes me question if it will do my body any harm. There has been talk that just holding your phone to your ear for too long may give rise to health problems, so why not this chip?

Secondly, how long does it take to punch in your password? I would say 5 second at most by experience. If wasting 5 second of your time is more of a hassle than actually stopping to take a pill then, I think I just lost whatever faith in humanity that I have left. Are you serious people? Beside that, this is proof that we are letting technology advance to the point where we are relying on it too much. The fact that I am sitting on my bed typing this instead of handwriting it is an example of how much we reply on technology. As a consequence of this, my handwriting suffers greatly. No longer does it matter to have the neatest handwriting in class, as long as it’s readable. Therefore, taking the password pill must have a consequence as well.


Comparing 2014 to as early as 2000. so many advancements in the world of technology has taken place. It has come to the point where it’s astonishing. Stories about not being able to use the internet while your mother was on her phone seem less believable than a fairytale. I myself cannot make it through a day without my phone handy. Overall I am not saying technology is bad, but what I’m trying to say is, technology is a privilege and it is best to not exercise that privilege too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment